The Bachelor of Technology program is designed to serve students who have an Applied Science degree or documented training and/or verifiable skills in an exclusive vocational/technical area, full-time military experience, or business/industrial training and who desires a bachelor's degree. A specific program of study for each student is contracted on the basis of his/her career goals and previous training.
A Technology Advisory Committee helps you prepare an individualized program of study, which becomes a learning contract when approved by the chair of the Department of Technology. Students may be approved to take course work in other departments in order to meet specific career objectives.
Bachelor of Technology graduates hold positions in business and industry that include:
- Plant Manager
- Line Supervisor
- Quality Control
- Engineering Designer
- Industrial Engineer
Certification is available through NAIT (CIT, Certified Industrial Technologist), and SME (Certified Manufacturing Technologist, CMfgT).
For more information about degree requirements, visit the NSU catalog.
Each student must complete the following criteria:
- A Career Exploration phase with faculty assistance before admittance to the program.
- A minimum of 30 hours from NSU.
- A total of 60 hours credit from a four-year school. Forty of the 60 hours must be at the junior/senior (3000/4000) level.
- Completion of 40 hours of Liberal Arts courses.
- Completion of: Technology Core - 18 hours, Advised Upper Level Professional/Technical Electives 12 - 18 hours, Technical Elective (1000-4000) level - 27 hours (minimum)
- An Internship is recommended for students entering the workplace, changing disciplines, or making significant changes in job description.
- The advisor will help the student prepare an individualized program of study, which becomes a learning contract when approved by the Chair of the Department of Information Systems & Technology. Students may be approved to take coursework in any other department in order to meet specific career objectives. Emphasis areas have been developed for Service Occupations, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain /Logistics. Curricula have also been developed for specific area industries.
The minimum number of hours required for the Bachelor of Technology is 124 hours.
Professional Technology Core - 18 hours
- TECH 3003 - Concepts of Industry
- TECH 3023 - Technology and Society
- TECH 3033 - Fundamentals of Supervision
- TECH 3503 - Leadership in Organizations
- TECH 4023 - Occupational and Environmental Safety
- TECH 4043 - Senior Seminar
- or TECH 4663 - Technology Seminar
Upper Division Advised Professional Electives - 12 to 18 hours
Technical Electives - 27 hours (minimum)
Major Total - 60 hours
Additional Degree Information - College of Business and Technology
- Business Analytics Certificate
- Business Basics Certificate
- Digital Marketing Certificate
- Event Management Certificate
- Healthcare Administration Certificate
- Healthcare Information Analytics Certificate
- Human Resources Management Certificate
- International Business Certificate
- Long Term Care Administration Certificate
- Operations and Supply Chain Management Certificate
- Project Management Certificate
- Quality Management Certificate
- Small Business Certificate
- Soft Skills Certificate